In 2004, good SEO made you remarkable on the web.
In 2014, good SEO is a result of being remarkable on the web.
As an enduring online traffic channel, SEO might be the best investment one can make in online marketing. You need to know what you’re doing though: otherwise, it could turn out to be the worst.
Start with keyword research
What are your potential customers searching for, and what is their intent in searching? Do they conduct a search the way you think they might? What questions do they have about your product, that you should be answering on your website? These kind of questions can be answered through extensive keyword research.
Determine your current status and low-hanging fruit
In order to know what to optimise on your current website, you first have to gauge its performance based on the keywords identified in your keyword research.
- Does Google understand which page is the most important with regard to a specific topic?
- Are you targeting the right user intent (informational vs transactional)?
- Among content that is already ranking, which content could be upgraded to perform better?
Develop an SEO and content marketing strategy
So now you know where you stand and where the biggest opportunities for growth lie.
- What extra content should you create? And would pages or blogposts be more effective?
- What other topics are your audience interested in besides your products?
- What KPIs are we looking at?